The Office of Financial Aid starts packaging summer aid beginning in early May. Here are some things you will need to know about summer term:

1. Apply for Aid

Summer term aid requires a 2021-22 FAFSA application. Summer is the start of the academic year for financial aid purposes. Once you have been awarded aid for the 2021-2022 year, financial aid for summer session can be requested by answering the questions pertaining to summer session enrollment plans on the “Home” tab during your financial aid award acceptance process. You must be currently enrolled in at least one summer credit in order to have your aid revised to include summer term. 

2. Aid May Be Limited

Summer financial aid is limited due to funding constraints and loan program limits. Students expecting to attend for four terms can anticipate their student loan funds to be redistributed over the four terms of enrollment. Annual loan limits remain the same regardless of the number of terms you attend. Students who have been awarded work study for the academic year may begin working during summer term (after July 1st) if enrolled half-time or more. Student’s eligible for the Federal Pell Grant may receive these funds for all four terms which includes summer.

3. Enrollment Requirements for Aid

Enrollment levels are NOT different in summer. For undergraduates, full-time enrollment is 12 credits, 3/4 time is 9 to 11 credits, and half-time is 6 to 8 credits. For graduate students, half-time is 5 to 8 credits, and full-time is 9 credits. You must notify the financial aid office if you will be enrolled less than full time. Both undergraduates and graduates must be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for most financial aid including federal student loans.

4. Changes in Enrollment

During the summer term, the Census Date coincides with the last date you can add a course in session one. Dropping courses after the summer Census Date may result in a reversal of your Pell Grant. You must participate in all of your courses in order to earn the federal financial aid that is disbursed for that term. If you drop a course before that course began or if we are unable to verify your participation in a course, we are required to reverse any Pell Grant payments made for that course. Reversed Pell will be returned to the Department of Education. This reversal of aid may create a new bill on your OSU student billing account.

You are paid federal financial aid based on all of the sessions (entire payment period) you are registered for at the time of disbursement. If you do not complete all of those sessions a return of federal funds may be required. Additionally, be sure to monitor your OSU student email carefully throughout the summer. If you drop, withdraw from, or do not fully complete your current sessions, you may be considered withdrawn from the term even if you are still enrolled in a future session. In this case you may be emailed a request to complete a summer survey verifying your intent to participate in future sessions. If you do not complete this summer survey, a return of federal aid may be required.

5. Summer Aid Disbursements

Summer term disbursements of some types of financial aid will begin shortly before the start of Session 1. SEOG and many scholarships awarded for summer cannot disburse until the beginning of the new fiscal year on July 1st. Students who have been awarded work study for the academic year may begin working during summer session (after July 1st) if enrolled half-time or more.

Remember, textbooks cannot be charged to your student account. Proper planning for textbook purchases prior to the disbursement of financial aid is strongly encouraged.