Changes in Enrollment

You are assumed to be full-time (12 credits undergraduate/9 credits graduate) unless you tell us otherwise. If your enrollment does not match, your financial aid does not disburse until after our Census Date. To help avoid any delays, let us know your enrollment plans PRIOR to the start of the term by submitting an Enrollment Revision form. Most types of aid require at least halftime enrollment (6 credits undergraduate/5 credits graduate).

Cost of Attendance Adjustments

In certain instances, your cost of attendance may be adjusted to include other allowable costs incurred to meet your educational needs. Requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis to determine approval. Documentation of the additional expense must be included for consideration. If approved, additional expenses are usually funded with "self-help" assistance in the form of loans. Adjustments are not made for consumer debts, car payments, or private school tuition.

Adjustments may include, but are not limited to:

  • Medical or dental cost not covered by insurance
  • Computer expense (one time allowance)
  • Child care cost for children 12 and under
  • Commuting costs from outside the Corvallis area
  • Costs related to students with disabilities
  • Study abroad program fees

It is important to note that in most cases these adjustments will only allow for additional eligibility for private loans or in the case of dependent students, additional Parent PLUS eligibility. Submit a Cost of Attendance revision request with the required documentation for review.

Changes in Your Financial Situation

If you have experienced a loss of employment, change in marital status, or other major financial change, you may have your situation reviewed by the Office of Financial Aid to determine if a Special Conditions Appeal (SCA) might be beneficial. In certain cases this appeal can be used by undergraduate students to recalculate eligibility for the Ford Direct Subsidized loan and Pell Grant. Institutional aid may be reduced based on the EFC change and awarding of federal grants.

When to contact the Office of Financial Aid about a Special Conditions Appeal for 2021/2022

After your federal aid offer has been packaged for the relevant year (packaging is usually done in March or April), you may contact the Office of Financial Aid by email to request a preliminary review. In your email request, include a brief statement about how your income has changed, specific dates when income changes took place, and what your estimated gross income is for the upcoming 2021 year (include earnings, unemployment benefits, pension distributions and any other types of income you expect to receive in 2021). We complete this preliminary review to determine if a special conditions appeal is likely to be beneficial. The appeals become available June 1st each year. 

Keep in mind that appeal processing time for appeals may be 8 or more weeks and we are not able to guarantee that the appeal will result in additional aid. In cases where our office determines that an income estimate for the year cannot be used, processing may be delayed until needed income documentation becomes available or taxes for that aid year have been filed. 

There is no reason to appeal if you are already have an expected family contribution of zero because you are already receiving the maximum amounts of need based funds.

To get an idea of how your federal aid might be impacted by changes in income before getting your initial award letter, you may use the federal FAFSA4CASTER tool.

Special Conditions Appeal filing deadline

The deadline to submit an SCA appeal is week 4 of spring term. Appeals may only be processed for the current or upcoming school year. We are not able to process appeals for students who have ceased enrollment for the term/year.