Once you have been awarded for the 2016-2017 school year, financial aid for summer session can be requested by answering the questions pertaining to summer session enrollment plans on the 'Resources/Additional Information' tab during your financial aid award acceptance process. Once your request is received, award revisions will be processed within 7-10 business days after you have registered for summer term and changes will be available to view through your MyOSU account. If you need to change your enrollment level after completing the summer session questions, you will need to submit an Enrollment Revision Form for processing. There are a few things to keep in mind regarding your financial aid during summer session:
- Summer session aid requires a 2016-2017 FAFSA application. Summer is the start of the academic year for financial aid purposes.
- Summer financial aid is limited due to funding constraints and student loan program limits. Students expecting to attend all four academic terms can anticipate their student loan funds to be redistributed over the four terms of enrollment. Yearly student loan limits remain the same regardless of the number of terms you attend. Students who have been awarded work study for the academic year may begin working during summer session (after July 1st) if enrolled half-time or more.
- Enrollment levels are NOT different in summer. For undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students, full-time is 12 or more credits, 3/4 time is 9 to 11 credits, and half-time is 6 to 8 credits. For graduate students half-time is 5 to 8 credits, and full-time is 9 or more credits.
- You must be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for federal student loans.
- If your actual enrollment does not match your expected enrollment level for financial aid, your financial aid will not be disbursed. Please complete an Enrollment Revision Form to have your financial aid revised to match your actual enrollment.
- Waitlisted classes or classes you plan to take during later summer session but have not actually enrolled in will not be counted for financial aid purposes.
- Please note that Federal Pell Grant funds are required to be revised to match your enrollment on an ongoing basis throughout summer term regardless of when courses are dropped. These revisions may create a balance due on your OSU student billing account.
Do be aware! Textbooks cannot be charged to your student account; therefore, proper planning for textbook purchases prior to the disbursement of financial aid is strongly encouraged.